I was waiting for the alarm to go off this morning.  When it did, I switched it off and stayed in bed.  The flu is still bashing me about and I had a bad sinus headache.  I was itching to get out though.  The trail camera over the dead calf in the valley had not been checked for a few days and the calf should be right in its prime state of attractiveness.

This afternoon, feeling a bit better, I figured I really did need to see what was on that camera.  More than likely, the best hunting time would be late afternoon, leading into dusk.  It would pay to get in position by about 4PM and then just sit quietly until it was too dark to shoot, before going down and swapping the camera card.

I had already established my favoured stake-out spot for the dead calf.  It is from an old fence post, about three-quarters of the way down the spur and 150 metres from the dead calf itself.  That gave me a good view of the calf and the area all around it.  With the 257 Weatherby Magnum, wearing the long-legged Champion bipod, I could lean back against the post and get a nice, steady shooting position.

So, that is what I did.  I sat there quietly for a couple of hours as the sun slid down and eventually disappeared in the west.  Dusk began to settle and I had seen nothing, apart from many interesting tropical birds in the rainforest canopy, where a lot of native fruits are in season.

The big 56mm objective Swarovski would give me every advantage in the dusk, but in a few more minutes even that would not be enough.  I started to put away my binoculars and glanced down to the dead calf as I did so.  A solid little black boar sauntered casually out of the creek and up to the calf.

I had visualised and rehearsed that event all afternoon.  The Vanguard slid into my shoulder and I tracked the boar as it walked to the carrion pile.  The boar was slightly quartering away from me, so I brought my point of aim back a smidge to account for that, confident in the 110 grain Nosler Accubond’s ability to angle through the ribs.

At my shot, the boar flopped forward, nose-diving into the remains of the dead calf.  I slipped on my backpack and made my way to the boar.  He was as dead as a doornail so, after a quick photo in the near darkness, I swapped out the camera card and set off along the cattle track that would take me over two steep ridges and back to the vehicle about 700 metres away.

After a hot shower and a nice dinner, I ran through the contents of the trail camera card, as follows below.  I found a wealth of visits by wild dogs and boar.  I reckon this spot is going to be very productive.

wild boar sniffs about a dead calf

A pair of wild dogs visit a calf carcass